"Have not I commanded thee? Be strong and of a good courage; be not afraid, neither be thou
dismayed: for the Lord thy God is with thee withersoever thou goest."
-Joshua 1:9

Tuesday, January 28, 2014

What a Week!


Hello my loving family and friends!

Let’s just say this week was full of some fun and exciting events! It was great! The week flew by so fast because of everything! So it all started when I had interchanges with another companion in a different area. The area that I was in is called R F. It is one of the most dangerous areas-colonias where I am serving. So going in I was expecting to hear or see something... well that was just the beginning! So we were there about 15 minutes and I saw the beginning of a situation where a guy was telling a group of guys that he would be coming back tomorrow with stuff to end the problem... that’s nothing. Then about an hour later we were talking to a lady and a man came and did a drug deal right in front of us with the mom... real crazy stuff. We were SHOCKED that this happened... Then about an hour later we were walking along a car. The car starting driving real slow and eventually stopped. Then about 2 minutes later we turned around to see the car and it was surrounded by about 4 dudes all with pistols. Then we had a few hour break before more stuff happened again. It was night time and we had a visit in the most dangerous area of R. It’s called Sector 3. We ran into the other elders before we got there and they told us that they were just there and people were throwing rocks at them... real great haha so we went in with the mentality that who knows what is going to happen. Well, we were walking on the street and then entered into a house. Literally about 30 seconds later there was a gang fight in that exact street we had just been walking down. We could hear bullets being shot off like no other... It’s amazing how the Lord has our backs with everything. He knew where we were walking and when and we were protected in the house. ALL is good! Crazy intercambio but exciting at the same time. I am so thankful for the security in the states every day. Don’t take anything for granted. Each week when I talk about being thankful for the small things, it is experiences like this that remind me to be so grateful. It’s all about the experience here and it’s great! I AM LOVING IT! 

Oh yea! I was also attacked by a dog this week... good stuff right? But, it didn’t get me too bad. I wasn’t bleeding really too bad. I did have to sew up my pants. Sewing sucks to say the least. It takes a long time but I must say that I did do a pretty dang good job for being a rookie when it comes to sewing. HAHA!  All is good there though too! Good experiences that I wouldn’t get anywhere else.

English classes are still going strong! Teaching tons! I am going to miss my students that we have on a weekly basis because they are great people whom I’ve come to love and admire. I can’t believe only 9 more days here in my current area. Time is bollando! Crazy fast! 

We had two baptisms this past weekend! Fernando y Maira! They are amazing. They are 15 and 16 years old with such strong spirits. I love them. The spirit is always muy fuerte at the baptisms - always such a wonderful experience and the highlight of our week. So that was good! I have 16 baptisms and I am on my way to 50 (my goal). All is going good! 

I spent a lot of time studying about Faith this week. It was such a good topic to study as I am helping various people that need help in this aspect of life. It was such a good topic for me to study. When we have the opportunity to think and try and help others our days are much more meaningful. I am so grateful to have a Heavenly Father that loves me and guides me every day. I know that God answers our prayers when we pray with a sincere and open heart. Faith is a principal that can always grow. We are all tested every day with different trials and problems- it’s through faith that we press on and do the things that we know we need to do. My invitation to each of you is to always have faith. Even when times seem hard turn to your Heavenly Father for guidance and he will help you. Pray, read, go to church. and do all the things that can help us in our weeks and daily lives. Live it out. Do it. 

I love you guys all so much! Have a great week! Aim High in all you do and put your best foot forward every day! Dad, thanks so mucho for always working hard for our family and Mom for the guidance you give us three boys in our family. Mom and Dad you are the rock for Gi and I. I love you guys very much! GiGi… keep working hard in school and sports. Remember hard work comes from one thing - working hard. Nothing is given to us in life - only through hard work we reap the rewards. Remember that. I love you man. You are my example in many ways. Keep doing the right thing. Spiritually put the work in each week and growth will come to you. Keep kicking butt on and off the field! Love you guys!

Con mucho amor!
Elder Long!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment