"Have not I commanded thee? Be strong and of a good courage; be not afraid, neither be thou
dismayed: for the Lord thy God is with thee withersoever thou goest."
-Joshua 1:9

Monday, October 20, 2014

Another new area and companion...I love this work!


Hey there friends and familia! I hope that this letter finds you all alive and kicking and doing your thing. All is good here. So this week you can find Elder Long in a new area with a lot of new and great things! So let’s get down to the sweat report once again!! 

So lets begin with that this area is by far the hottest area on my mission... it’s SO hot you have no idea. It’s horrible. We are in a valley called C. and our area is called L. P. It’s a huge area and super nice. It has like a pueble and city feel to it, it’s amazing! It’s a very cool area. We are about 20 minutes away from an American Air force base. I am so pumped to go there and see if there are any AF grads there. So excited, I think that we are going to be going there next Monday, we shall see!

Our house does not have running water. It’s super hot too haha. We don’t have a shower, we just shower outside haha because the shower is broken. We don’t have a washing machine mom (good joke haha that would be like having a Ferrari). Thats about all I can think of that you would like to know!  

So I have a new companion! He is from the states, Florida! His name is Elder S. His mom is from Peru and his father is from Mexico, quite the one two punch haha. He’s great! He’s a newbie and I’m his first companion and this is his first area in the mission for him. So he’s pretty nervous but he’s doing good. He went to the CCM in Mexico so we had some good talks about that place. He is super into music and has like opposite interests of mine but we get a long great. I am so happy to be able to help him out in the beginning of his mission.  

So our President of our mission took out all the missionaries in our area, there used to be two sets of missionaries here, and now there is just my companion and I. We are covering two areas, and it’s huge. But its all good, we are getting after it. The assistance in the church is super low... and when I say super low I mean super. There is not a lot of emotion and stuff. So this is where Papi Long comes into hand, we need to put the big boy pants on and make some changes! So we didn’t waste time, Sunday I got people to work. When we started there were 7 people in church (no one shows up on time) and we ended up with 52. We easily should have over 130 people each week in church. So we put the big boy pants on and had a good talk, everyone is super pumped to get after it and change the ward around and have it like it was before! So we have A LOT OF WORK, but that’s nothing new, it’s been like that since day one and I am happy to be in an area that needs a lot of help. It’s going to be a blast here. We will make a 360 here. So pumped! 

So we didn’t waste time finding people that really want to move forward and receive the blessing of the gospel in their lives. So since we are covering two areas we have so much work to do and make up for lost time. President Fortuna was going to close this entire area down and take out all the missionaries, but he is giving it another transfer to see what’s good. So here I am sent to another area to make it happen. I love the pressure and we’re going to make it happen. It’s great, we have little time to see results and that’s when the Academy Long kicks in, adrenaline going and loving it! So all is good!

This week we found about 6 people that are great and ready and are preparing to get baptized, One in particular that is amazing! His name is R. So we were walking down a street in the middle of the market and he said Hola Elderes! We said hello and kept walking. I got the strongest impression, and when I say strongest impression from the spirit to turn around, so we did. We went back and talked to him and put a time to meet with him later that night. We invited him to church and he came. He rocks a huge beard, has some habits that are a challenge but I love the guy already. Then after church, later Sunday night we go to his house. He had shaven and was all cleaned up. We asked him why he shaved? He said, “I need to change my life around and I have started. I felt the spirit so strong in the church, I know that this church is true and that I need to start a new life. I need to be better, so I shaved to start a new me”... the spirit was so strong, the joy that I felt was amazing. I am so happy that the spirit led me to R. and that he is so ready to grow closer to our Heavenly Father. I know that the Lord will bless him. I know that this man is going to change and be a better man. I am so happy for him. So thankful and happy to have had this experience this week. It was one of the more spiritual moments on my mission. I am so happy for him!!! 

So we are getting after it, every day is something new and making the people have emotion for what we do and why we do it. This is the Lords work. He is at the helm and we just are his servants in all that we do. I am so happy to be part of the lords work. I know why I am here in this new area. I know why I am with Elder S., everything has a reason. The Lord is our example and if we do what he wants us to do , we will receive blessings. I love this area, little time to work and results to show, because if not.. there is a great possiblily that they will close the area. So time to work.

So happy to be a missionary, I wouldn’t want to be doing anything else. There is no better work in the world. This is the Lords work. I know it’s true. I love and miss you guys, don’t worry though, I am doing amazing and growing in ways that I never thought I could. Make it a special week, do something for someone else, and change something for the better. 

Aim high in all that you do and put your best foot forward every day. 

Con mucho amor, 
Elder Long! 

No comments:

Post a Comment